Download your own guide here: travel_itinerary_budapest
Budapest is city full of historical and cultural heritage, architecture and thermal baths. A city which was once split in two (Buda and Pest) is now together and is comprised of the hilly Buda and flat Pest, making it one of the best cities in Europe.
AUTUMN - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 17c AND 10c
WINTER - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 5c AND 0c
SPRING - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 2c AND 15c
SUMMER - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 16c AND 25c
CAPITAL OF HUNGARY
POPULATION: 1.8 MILLION (2015)
TOP 10 THINGS TO DO
1. Relax at one of Budapest’s eleven famous thermal baths; the largest thermal bath is called the Szechényi Bath
which is like a large outdoor pool.
2. Spend the morning admiring Budapest’s history and art at the Hungarian National Museum
, the Budapest History Museum
or the Hungarian National Gallery
3. Have a coffee and try one of Budapest’s local delicacies, Dobastorta, at the oldest cafe in the city - Ruszwurm
4. Visit one of the world’s most attractive streets - Váci Utica
and see why it's famous for its cafes, beautiful buildings and fashionable stores.
5. Climb up Gellért Hill, which is situated in one of the most beautiful parks in the city. On the top of the hill is a lookout terrace with spectacular panoramic views.
6. Visit the Castle District of Buda and walk around Matthias Church, The Buda Royal Palace and enjoy one of the best views in the city from Fishermen’s Bastion or The Halászbástya.
7. Buy souvenirs at The Central Market Hall
: there are stalls with fresh fruits, vegetables, meat and dairy as well as speciality Hungarian products.
8. Take a photograph in front of the St. Stephen’s Basilica
, a building dating back to 1905, its impressive 315ft (96m) black dome can be seen from all over the city.
9. Walk along the Danube river (which seperates Buda and Pest), admire the beautiful bridges that connect the two halves of the city and stare in awe at the Castle district and the Hungarian Parliament building.
10. Take a walk around the city at night and experience the spectacle of the city's beautiful lights.
Delicacies in Budapest
1. Dobas Torta
- A sponge cake layered with chocolate butter cream and topped with caramel, this delicious desert can be found at Ruszwurm
- A goulash style soup filled with meat, vegetables and flavoured with paprika and other spices, this unique soup can be found at Belvárosi Disznótoros
3. Gundel Palacsinta
- Pancakes stuffed with a sweet walnut paste filling and topped with chocolate rum sauce, this breakfast or dessert can be found at Dunacorso
Accommodation in Budapest
1. 5 star + Hotel
- Corinthia Hotel Budapest
2. Bed and Breakfast
- Gaia Guesthouse
- Hostel One Budapest
Airlines that fly to Budapest
1. Ryanair - Athens, Barcelona, Berlin, Bristol, Copenhagen, Dublin, London (Stansted), Madrid, Malta, Manchester, Pisa and Rome.
2. Wizz Air - Barcelona, Birmingham, Dubai, Glasgow, Fuerteventura, Kiev, Lisbon, Liverpool, London (Luton), Madrid, Malta, Moscow, Naples, Nice, Warsaw and many more.
3. Easyjet - Amsterdam, Berlin, London (Gatwick), Lyon, Paris and Venice.
By Anny from Annys Adventures
our Destination Travel Writer