SPRING - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 11c AND 20c
SUMMER - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 11c AND 23c
AUTUMN - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 12c AND 23c
WINTER - AVERAGE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN 8c AND 18c
POPULATION: 1.18 MILLION (2016)
LANGUAGE: GREEK AND TURKISH
TOP 10 THINGS TO DO
1. Spend the afternoon visiting the Zambartas winery, take a tour, discover the wine process and taste test the delicious wine.
2. Visit the picturesque town of Lofou, with it’s church on the hill, beautiful scenery, mountains and hiking trails through the forest.
3. Rent a bike and take a tour around the island.
4. Take a trip to the islands famous Golden Beach, in Karpaz peninsula on the north of the island. This 3 kilometre stretch of beach is protected and un commercialised.
5. Visit the capital of the island, Nicosia. A divided city, with Ledra street containing two sides, a Turkish-Cypriot and a Greek-Cypriot, each containing unique contrasting venues.
6. Spend the morning walking around Polis, a town frozen in time, with a traditional town square, restaurants and shops.
7. Go Scuba diving at the famous Pissouri Bay, which is a great place for diving of all levels and contains the sunken shipwreck of the RS Zenobia.
8. Explore the Paphos archaeological park, which contains ancient on the north of the island. This 3 kilometre stretch of beach is protected and un commercialised.
9. Go on a hike through the Canyon Akamas Peninsula, and go on a 3 kilometre hike which can be extended to a 14 kilometre hike.
10. Bathe in the Baths of Aphrodite, a Greek mythological and legendary place, which are said to contain the waters of external youth.
DELICACIES IN CYPRUS
1. Keftedes - Keftedes is a Cypriot meatball dish made from pork or beef which is fried or minced. Served with a variety of sauces and sides. A great place to sample this Cypriot village style platter is at the Sienna restaurant, which is a warm and relaxing restaurant located in Paphos, overlooking the ocean.
2. Ospriada - Ospriada is a Cypriot bean salad, often served as a side with a main dish. You can find this dish all over the island, but a great place to sample it is at Pantopoleio Kali Orexi in Nicosia with a wide variety of other dishes.
3. Muhallebi - Muhallebi is a milk based desert dish, made with rice flour or cornstarch and topped with syrup. A great place to sample this dish is at Syrian Arab Friendship Club, in Nicosia.
ACCOMMODATION IN CYPRUS
1. Lemongrass Hostel, hostel
2. Elysium, 5 star hotel
3. Ajax Hotel, Value hotel
AIRLINES THAT FLY TO CYPRUS
1. Aegean Airlines - Athens, London, Paris, Tel Aviv and Thessaloniki
2. Thomson Airways - Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Doncaster, East Midlands, Exeter, Glasgow, London, Manchester and Newcastle.
3. Emirates - Dubai